promoting Perl (was Re: uutraffic report (in perl))

Jim Budler jim at eda.com
Sat Dec 2 18:42:39 AEST 1989

tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET (Tom Neff) writes:

} In article <1989Dec1.083526.23734 at eda.com> jim at eda.com (Jim Budler) writes:
} >Note:
} >
} >xargs is not a feature of UNIX. Period.
} >
} >It is a PROGRAM available on several versions of Unix derived from
} >certain late model ATT versions of UNIX, and ported to some, but
} >certainly not all, non-ATT versions of UNIX.

} Good description of perl too, come to think of it! :-)

NOT if you realize the word "PROGRAM" in the description means
"binary object code executeble useable under license...", whereas
in the description of perl the word "PROGRAM" would mean "portable
source code to create an executable useable as you see fit".
ALSO you would have to truncate the description after "available on
several versions of Unix" if you were being honest.

} Now which tool's simpler...

Which tool's more efficient?

I'm getting a little tired of this. Perl is available in portable
source, therefor, as far as I'm concerned it's available throughout
my unix platform base. The logistics, are just that, logistics. It
is, by my definition, available wherever I need it.

xargs (before <4731 at netcom.UUCP>) is not. Even given the PD xargs in
<4731 at netcom.UUCP>, it is LESS efficient in the example I gave in the
original posting ( "find / ... -print | perl ..." on a fileserver).

} --
} The real problem with SDI is     %/    Tom Neff
} that it doesn't kill anybody.    /%    tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET
     This is a problem?

jim
--
Jim Budler	jim at eda.com    ...!{decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim
compuserve: 72415,1200     applelink: D4619