Looking for a make version to better support software versions

Bill Silvert silvert at cs.dal.ca
Sat Dec 30 00:30:13 AEST 1989

In article <1440 at jimi.cs.unlv.edu> jack at jimi.cs.unlv.edu (Jack Alexander) writes:
>I have a need for a make-type program that will allow recompilations
>to be dependent on the changing of compiler definitions (i.e., "-DVERSIONB")
>... However, when I change
>a compile variable, I don't want to re-compile every file (some directories may
>have 50 source files each), just the ones that actually reference the variable.

It seems that this should be doable with existing forms of make.
Arrange to set each define in a file (use `cat ...` to get the contents
into the command line) and set up dependencies.  Then when you edit the
file "versionb" (containing just the line "-DVERSIONB") the appropriate
files get remade.  The dependencies can be set up either by hacking an
existing dependency generator or by using greps.

--
Bill Silvert, Habitat Ecology Division.
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada B2Y 4A2