Stupid reposting service (was Re: SLIP/getty/printers on Ter

Tom Neff tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET
Sat Dec 16 08:23:03 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec15.194952.13579 at twwells.com> bill at twwells.com (T. William Wells) writes:
>If you use rn, you might try using a kill file. Those postings
>have headers which should be easy enough to filter out. Or, if
>not, I'm sure Ed could arrange that it be so.

It's worth pointing out in all contexts -- but especially in the
realm of large source postings -- that news articles don't arrive
at sites cost free, KILL files notwithstanding.  Cross posting
allows articles to appear in multiple useful places with only
the cost of one distribution, but RE-posted sources from some
individual newsreader's site forces people to bear the cost of
two distributions, unless they want to forgo the use of the group
(which means missing original postings too).

So while it's important to know about KILL files, they don't
fully replace proper posting to begin with.
--
"NASA Announces New Deck Chair Arrangement For   \_/  Tom Neff
Space Station Titanic" -- press release 89-7654  \_/  tneff at bfmny0.UU.NET