moderation of alt.sources vs. automated harangues

Liam R. E. Quin lee at sq.sq.com
Thu Nov 2 14:37:31 AEST 1989

Brandon S. Allbery (allbery at NCoast.ORG) wrote:
>| Name changes, moderation etc. are all solutions hunting for a problem.
>> . . .
>| the name were changed, people would still post requests for reposts and
>| "does anyone have X" to it.  Only education will solve the problem.

>[...]  The point is that
>*all* of the mis-posted submissions I get for comp.sources.misc are derived
>from confusion about the intent of the word "sources".  It should be more
>explicit about what it means; please remember that most people do *not* use
>the word the way it is often used in program-related newsgroups and in the
>names of the existing source-code newsgroups.

You have a good point there, I think.
Maybe alt.sourcecode (and comp.sourcecode) would be a better name.
At least "sourcecode" is not a normal English (American? Canadian?) word.

On the other hand, vaster than empires, the mighty Usenet slowly turns, and
I would expect that changing the name of sources groups would irritate
everyone who archived them.
It is obviously helpful if all of the sourcecode groups have similar names.

Lee
--
lee at sq.com (a visitor to Toronto for a few weeks, not an "sq" employee)