Perl (of course!)

Jim Budler jim at eda.com
Thu Nov 30 17:39:41 AEST 1989

faigin at aerospace.aero.org (Daniel P. Faigin) writes:

} In article <5262 at omepd.UUCP> merlyn at iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) writes:
} >This is *exactly* the audience for Perl.  When an "easy" combination of awk
} >and sed doesn't do it, but writing a C program (under multiple architectures)
} >is overkill, Perl seems to fit in quite nicely.  It's also a lot more
} >flexible at launching and managing multiple processes than the same thing in
} >awk or sh.  It also has this little report generator built in that I've made
} >minimal use of, but was the original intent of Perl.

} It's time to tell a story. Not that many people know why perl even exists (or
} that it was originally to be called gloria, in honor of Larry's wife).

[... great story deleted...]

} Daniel (one of the three people there at perl's birth)

} Email:faigin at aerospace.aero.org (or) Faigin at dockmaster.ncsc.mil

Hey, this story would be great in the book! You know the book the
person you followed up to is writing. (Or did I get my people crossed
up?)

By the way, was a title ever chosen?

jim
--
Jim Budler	jim at eda.com    ...!{decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim
compuserve: 72415,1200     applelink: D4619