uutraffic report (in perl)

PENNnet Oper/Planning magill at operations.upenn.edu
Thu Nov 23 06:47:28 AEST 1989

>   I don't think Tom is advocating Perl as a complete replacement for the
>   Unix Way(TM), but as a complement to it.  There is a type of
>   programming task that's too clumsy or slow (or both) when written the
>   "old-fashioned" way, but not easily implemented in C (or just not
>   worth the time).  This is what Perl is for.  By some strange
>   coincidence, tasks of this type are extremely common in system
>   administration.  I suspect a straw poll of Perl users would turn up a
>   large number of sysadmins.

Coming from the environment of managing multiple systems of various
dialects and operating systems "universal" solutions are a godsend.

My "login.com", ".login", ".profile" files all create an environment
based upon my needs and desires. Based in things like GNU and PERL
I can monitor and maintain multiple systems with multiple operating
systems (I don't consider Ultrix, BSD, H-UX, SystemV, 386 SystemV,
to be the same operating system - because from a system adiminstrators
point of view - they don't all act quite the same and we all know that
even though VMS claims to be POSIX compliant, it sure doesn't look like
Unix(tm)).

--
William H. Magill 			 Manager, PENNnet Operations Planning
Data Communications and Computing Services (DCCS)  University of Pennsylvania
Internet: magill at dccs.upenn.edu			  magill at eniac.seas.upenn.edu
          magill at upenn.edu