moderation of alt.sources vs. automated harangues

David C Lawrence tale at pawl.rpi.edu
Tue Nov 7 17:58:45 AEST 1989

In <1989Nov4.172417.25968 at NCoast.ORG> allbery at NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery):
Brandon> Or maybe we should create alt.source-code and let it run
Brandon> concurrently with alt.sources, and observe the results.  If
Brandon> it works well, it can be proposed for the mainstream Usenet.

Perhaps we should, though the redundancy might confuse people.
Unfortunately I feel as though I've lost direction in this issue
because very soon after I posted the summary of the poll a newgroup
was issued for alt.sources.wanted.  There were no non-sources postings
to alt.sources (coincidentally, there were no articles at all to
alt.sources.wanted) for a while but today two more appeared, the
second of which was the most pathetic "ME TOO!" request I have seen in
a long time.

My personal opinion, at this exact moment, is to let alt.source-code
and alt.sources coexist before making any further decisions.  This is
alt, let's use its freedom.  I'd appreciate if someone else sent the
newgroup on this though, because a) it would mean at least one other
person thought the idea had enough merit to back it with some action,
and b) I think people are sick of seeing control messages from me.

If no one does go with this suggestion, I won't lose any sleep over
it.  In fact, I think I'll get some now.  G'night.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale at pawl.rpi.edu" "tale at ai.mit.edu" "tale at rpitsmts.bitnet"))