Results of alt.sources renaming poll

Russ Nelson nelson at sun.soe.clarkson.edu
Thu Nov 2 05:38:18 AEST 1989

In article <1989Nov1.155911.21118 at rpi.edu> tale at pawl.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) writes:

   That is a bit of a problem.  A careful admin could pull it off without
   any problem as long as he knew what was going on.  C News as shipped
   will not remove the directory.  I don't know about B News as shipped,
   but it was configured here to take out the directory while performing
   an rmgroup.  With either, though, the directory would go away with rm
   -rf, which means directories for d/ and amiga/ would go too.  The most
   major problem in all of this is many sites either don't have a news
   admin or have one that doesn't know/doesn't care.

I think you want to modify C News's shell script so that it does:

	rm /usr/spool/news/newsgroup/*
	rmdir /usr/spool/news/newsgroup

which will preserve any subgroups below it, for example alt.sources.amiga.
--
--russ (nelson at clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])
Live up to the light thou hast, and more will be granted thee.