moderation of alt.sources vs. automated harangues

Karl Lehenbauer karl at sugar.hackercorp.com
Tue Oct 17 13:09:10 AEST 1989

I've been thinking about this and I do not want alt.sources moderated.
There are pretty many people who want to retain the status quo plus there
is no precedent within alt for the action.

However, the people who want to moderate alt.sources are perfectly welcome
to create a moderated sources group within the alt subnet.

As to a moderator's ability to check the net every day, I would say only
a few people manage to be moderators and give continuously good service
for long periods.  Brandon Alberry, Rich Salz and Peter Neumann come to mind.
All too often people get real hot to be moderators, but
school/family/work/duty/fun/programming calls, and before you know it,
no postings for weeks or months...
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl	"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that
-- 			 flags do not wave in a vacuum."  -- Arthur C. Clarke