Cmail - check to see who's read their mail - UNIX

Sean Casey sean at ms.uky.edu
Wed Oct 25 04:15:34 AEST 1989

steveb at cs.utexas.edu (Steve Benz) writes:

|tchrist at convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
||So as an exercise, I rewrote the program in perl (version |>3.0).

|While I certainly find your program preferable to the original,
|I question your choice of Perl instead of a shell script.
|Granted, your Perl program would be faster on some systems, but
|(at the risk of making a baseless assertion) the Bourne shell is
|the standard language for writing administrative hackery.

Yes and look at the godawful mess of AT&T "face", or any other vendor
written shell scripts for that matter.

It was done in perl because perl is a considerably more powerful
programming language that runs on practically every Unix system and
some micros to boot. Just because Bourne shell is everywhere doesn't
mean it's the best tool.

--
***  Sean Casey          sean at ms.uky.edu, sean at ukma.bitnet, ukma!sean
***  Copyright 1989 by Sean Casey. Only non-profit redistribution permitted.