Cmail - check to see who's read their mail - UNIX

Jim Budler jim at eda.com
Thu Oct 26 13:17:33 AEST 1989

steveb at cs.utexas.edu (Steve Benz) writes:

} In article <13048 at s.ms.uky.edu> sean at ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:

} The point I munged in my previous post was that since it's not installed
} on all machines, and not necessarily known by the system administrators at
} those sights which have it, that perhaps it wasn't the ideal choice of
} language (though it's a damn sight better choice than C.)

} 					- Steve

Heated words (not actually quoted above), for a simple pair of concepts.

o	sh + numerous basic unix utilities (sed, awk, ...) are generally
	available and familiar to administrators. Different versions of
	all portions exist. All bourne shell, awk, sed scripts are not
	fully portable because of this.

o	perl is new, flexible, and can be used for automating most
	administrative tasks. Available in source, for many machines,
	including non-UNIX. Not familiar to most administrators.

They are not mutually exclusive points of view.

Mild flame time:

If a functional program is posted in <insert your favorite language>,
it is counter productive to post a discussion of the relative merits of
the choice of language.

If you want to *demonstrate* an increased functionality of a <different
language> then post source.

Increased flame:

I'm perfectly happy letting people worry about their own mail. I use
'watcher' (courtesy Kenneth Ingham, UNM Computing Center, Albuquerque, NM)
to tell me when the file system gets too full.

Nevertheless, the source code was useful 'cause it demonstrated useful
capabilities. Don't discourage useful code.

All flamed out.

jim

P.S. with all the moderators deciding what 'alternate' source is
useful lately, I guess mod.sources wasn't so bad 8^(

P.P.S here's some source, in perl. Now this is NOT very useful :^)
Maybe not even correct 8^)
-------------- cut here ---------------
: This is a shar archive.  Extract with sh, not csh.
: The rest of this file will extract:
: jul
echo extracting - jul
sed 's/^X//' > jul << '!EOR!'
X#! /usr/bin/perl
X($a,$b,$c,$e,$f,$g,$h,$i,$j) = localtime(time);
X++$i;
Xprint "Julian date is $i\n";
!EOR!
--
Jim Budler	jim at eda.com    ...!{decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim
compuserve: 72415,1200     applelink: D4619