Cmail - check to see who's read their mail - UNIX

Steve Benz steveb at cs.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 26 09:15:31 AEST 1989

In article <13048 at s.ms.uky.edu> sean at ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:

>... [ FACE ] calls up a whole mess of twisty
>shell scripts, all different. If, God Help You, you want to do things by
>hand or write your own programs, you get to hunt in these shell scripts
>because nowhere else is documented how they do certain things.

Yes, but FACE could have been written in twisty Perl code just the same.
While I wouldn't want to spend my life programming in the Bourne shell,
somebody's going to have to stand up and point out that it's not all that
much worse than Perl, especially for the Cmail application.  In fact, I
suspect that it'd be just a wee bit nicer if written in the Bourne shell
(with judicious use of find(1), of course.)

The point I munged in my previous post was that since it's not installed
on all machines, and not necessarily known by the system administrators at
those sights which have it, that perhaps it wasn't the ideal choice of
language (though it's a damn sight better choice than C.)

					- Steve