Perl 3.0 Beta, gethostent() and the DNS; also, make x2p

David C Lawrence tale at pawl.rpi.edu
Tue Sep 12 08:08:17 AEST 1989

Perl wouldn't compile on our SunOS 4.0.3 Sun3 systems because we're
using the resolver routines from UUNET.  gethostent() isn't provided
so the loader bombed with undefined symbol _gethostent.  (Actually, I
could link it with -Bstatic because the resolver routines are only
installed in the dynamic library here and the static one still has all
of the Sun stuff; it's something we intend to sync soon though.)  I'm
not sure about the best way to fix this in the long run; it seems a
good question to add to Configure, though.

One other thing: during the general make of perl, it did a make in the
x2p directory which failed because it had no way to make config.sh.
Changing the dependency line for Makefile: to prepend '../' to
'config.sh' remedies the problem.

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale at pawl.rpi.edu" "tale at itsgw.rpi.edu" "tale at rpitsmts.bitnet"))