Compressing alt.sex.pictures files

Greg Lindahl gl8f at astsun7.astro.Virginia.EDU
Thu Aug 30 07:17:55 AEST 1990

In article <1990Aug29.154719.17301 at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>Note that it is sufficient that the scheme found compress _realistic_image_
>data well; it doesn't have to compress random input at all well,

*Realistic* astronomical images contain a lot of gaussian noise. How
general do you want your algorithm to be?

As for other comments: I found in the "good old days" that ARC tended
to huffman-encode images instead of LZW, because it was smaller. The
"best" picture format on the ST is/was one called Tiny, which you can
ftp a description of from atari.archive.umich.edu in
~/atari/graphics/picfmts.doc. However, that format would suck shit on
an astronomical image. Adaptive huffman encoding might be your best
bet.

--
"Fuck you, Wumpus." -- Joe Stong