How to make a faster comp.sources.unix

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Sat Dec 1 01:29:49 AEST 1990

In article <10770:Nov3009:18:4790 at kramden.acf.nyu.edu> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) writes:
>You want comp.sources.unix to produce software faster? You want to
>contribute some effort? Stop whining and start beta testing!

This is a fantastic idea.

>I'd like to help. If Rich sends me each comp.sources.unix submission at
>some stage of editing, I'll do my best to look at and test at least half
>the packages in each volume. I'll tell Rich what I think about each
>package, and I'll follow any guidelines he sets on things to look for.
>I'll tell him if I ever find I no longer have the time or resources to
>keep up with his schedule.

I think a better idea would be a list of volunteers whom Rick distributes
a list of packages amongst.  The volunteers then request the packages they
are able to/interested in testing.  This way people who have resources
to spare can sign up for more work than those people without.  Anyone
who gets burnt out naturally fades into the woodwork.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"SCCS, the source motel!  Programs check in and never check out!"
		-- Ken Thompson