A readable, robust encoding for source postings

Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR allbery at NCoast.ORG
Sun Dec 30 13:24:49 AEST 1990

As quoted from <1990Dec29.114801.5895 at Daisy.EE.UND.AC.ZA> by barrett at Daisy.EE.UND.AC.ZA (Alan P. Barrett):
+---------------
| I think that the correct way to fix this is to use an encoding that is
| both readable and robust.  A version of shar that does stuff like
| encoding tabs as \t and wrapping lines in a reversible way would do it.
| In fact, there was a lot of discussion on this topic here several months
| ago.  Sorry, I don't remember details, but I thought that somebody was
| going to do some real work on coming up with a suitable standard?

Brad Templeton's ABE is in the comp.sources.misc archives.  It is a robust,
readable encoding that includes line-by-line checksums and mapping of
characters that don't survive EBCDIC translations (and others).  I would
personally consider starting from there, as Brad decided not to make it share-
ware/commercial in part as a possible solution to this issue.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			    VHF/UHF: KB8JRR on 220, 2m, 440
Internet: allbery at NCoast.ORG		    Packet: KB8JRR @ WA8BXN