Read this if you're having trouble unpacking Tcl

Sean Casey sean at ms.uky.edu
Thu Dec 27 12:27:01 AEST 1990

tneff at bfmny0.BFM.COM (Tom Neff) writes:

|In article <7372 at sugar.hackercorp.com> karl at sugar.hackercorp.com (Karl Lehenbauer) writes:
|>Enclosed is the help file for anyone who is having trouble unpacking Tcl.

|If people would just post source to the source newsgroups, instead of
|this unreadable binary crap, no help file would be necessary.

I went to all the trouble of editing off the headers and concatenating
the files and uudecoding the thing. Compress told me it was messed up
(but still uncompressed some of it). I figured hey I'll extract what I
can just to have a look. The man page for cpio is undecipherable, and
eventually figured out the right options. Unfortunately, cpio wouldn't
unpack *any* of it, telling me "Out of phase, get help."

Now maybe Ken Arnold would like that sort of message, but it didn't
help me a whit.

If Tcl had been posted as a shell archive of source files as is the
norm, neither I nor anyone else on here would have had much trouble.

I agree with Tom. Just post source.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey <sean at s.ms.uky.edu>