copyright notices (was: Re: UNIX-Time the right way ...)

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Mon Dec 3 07:09:08 AEST 1990

In article <sean.660083458 at s.ms.uky.edu> sean at ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>We've gone over this 1000 times. Copyright law cannot limit use or
>disclosure! It can only limit duplication and public performances!
>Most of Haugh's copyright restrictions are bogus.

my dictionary understanding of the words "use", "disclosure",
"duplication" and "performance" all lead me to believe my
copyright notice is quite valid.

the alternative is to insert something like the GNU GPL into
every source file, which doesn't strike me as being all that
efficient but =would= specify in minute detail exactly what
you are permitted to do.

just to reiterate, only once have i ever denied anyone the
ability to use or duplicate or whatever any code that i have
ever posted.  clearly i am doing something right since the
desired goal is being met.  the rules for using the code i
write are probably identical to what everyone else expects -
either give me credit, or give me money.  most people just
give me credit where credit is due.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"Rich Salz is not doing his job.  The obligation on him now is ... to resign"
		-- Chip Salzenberg