Comp.sources.unix and replacing Rich Salz

Scott Horne horne-scott at cs.yale.edu
Sun Dec 2 14:05:06 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov30.165238.2018 at ism.isc.com> johnan at mchale.ism.isc.com (John Antypas) writes:

>While Rich may be unable to handle the archives, it should be noted that
>Rich does not, in fact, earn his living from this.  USENET is a cooperative
>net.  Perhaps we could achived the on-demand response people want if we
>starting earning some cash from it....

Great.  Rich gets a five- or six-figure salary off other people's labour
(programming, in this case).  The programmers, without whom he'd have no
newsgroup or money, get nothing.

>- Come up with a way to hire Rich full time to do this job

Hey, why Rich?  Why not me?  Five bucks a site?  Ten pounds a site?  Nine
thousand sites on the net?  I'll take it!  I'm sure many thousands of others
will, too.

Ah, but that won't last for long, as my site and many others will have to have
their feeds cut off, for `comp.sources.unix' will have become a commercial
enterprise.

What, you say?  `comp.sources.unix' is taken?  Damn.  Well, guess that means
I'll have to trump up some `yes' votes for a moderated `rec.sport.yo-yo',
`soc.culture.yogurt', or `comp.sys.trs80.model1' with myself as the moderator.
But this is going to interfere with my studies and other endeavours, so I'll
have to demand a salary.  $50,000/yr should do, provided I also get a
roomy air-conditioned office with a big, important-looking nameplate on the
mahogany desk, medical and dental insurance, a company car, a hefty pension
plan, and relocation expenses to Tahiti.

					--Scott

--
Scott Horne                               ...!{harvard,cmcl2,decvax}!yale!horne
horne at cs.Yale.edu      SnailMail:  Box 7196 Yale Station, New Haven, CT   06520