WWV vs. The Naval Observatory Clock -- Who's Right ?

Bob Leffler bob at rel.mi.org
Sat Dec 29 09:35:11 AEST 1990

In article <63354 at petro.UUCP> root at petro.UUCP (Petty System God) writes:
>the Naval Observatory was reporting time about 12 seconds behind WWV.
>To confirm the observation I called back the Naval Observatory with cu and
>let it report while WWV was reporting over the shortwave -- sure enough when
>WWV hit 124900 the Naval Observatory was reporting about 124848.

My first guess for the difference is the delay intransmitting the data via
the different transports.  i.e.  How long does it for the data to transmit
through the numberous switches, land lines, satelites, etc to reach your
modem?  I'm sure that it is different than shortwave.

bob

--
Bob Leffler, (bob at rel.mi.org), (313) 696-2479               Opinions expressed
Electronic Data Systems, GMC Truck SBU                      may not be those