compressed postings (was Re: Read this if you're having trouble unpacking Tcl)

Steve Lamont slamont at network.ucsd.edu
Mon Dec 31 05:52:18 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec30.151724.20808 at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
>Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
>/dev/gd4f             231133   99129  108890    48%    /usr/spool/news
>
>231Mbyte spool file; replicate that 20 or so times with other source
>group postings, and you're talking a day saved for expires. I'd like that.

It seems that what the discussion *should* center around is more efficient
file transport and/or storage methods, not whether the postings themselves
should be compressed/encoded/whatevered.  All of this compression/
decompression and so forth should be invisible to the ultimate
reader/user.  Making the individual reader go through this process is very
user unfriendly.

							spl (the p stands for
							pardon me, can I
							compress a word in
							edgewise?)
--
Steve Lamont, SciViGuy -- 1882p at cc.nps.navy.mil -- a guest on network.ucsd.edu
NPS Confuser Center / Code 51 / Naval Postgraduate School / Monterey, CA 93943