Mtools for my Sparcstation

Phil Robar philr at knecht.Eng.Sun.COM
Thu Dec 6 10:32:04 AEST 1990

lever at vala.hw.stratus.com (Mark Lever) writes:

>I am looking for something that will allow my sparcstation 3.5" drive to
>read and write mac and PC diskettes.  Someone told me that MTOOLS could
>do this.  Is this true and where can I find it?

mtools supports DOS, not Mac disks.  SunOS 4.1.1 has this feature
builtin.

DESCRIPTION
     PCFS is a filesystem type that allows users direct access to
     files  on  MS-DOS  formatted  disks  from  within  the SunOS
     operating system.  Once mounted, a PCFS filesystem  provides
     standard  SunOS  file  operations  and  semantics.  That is, users
     can create, delete, read, write  files  on  an  MS-DOS formatted
     disk.  They can also create/delete directories and list files in a
     directory.

     PCFS filesystems are mounted either with the command:

	  mount -t pcfs  device-special directory-name

     or

	  mount /pcfs

     if the following line

	  /dev/fd0  /pcfs     pcfs rw,noauto 0 0

     is in your /etc/fstab.

     File and directories created through  PCFS  have  to  comply with
     the  MS-DOS file name convention, which is of the form
     filename[.ext], where filename consists of one through eight
     upper-case  characters,  while  the optional ext consists of one
     through three upper-case characters.  PCFS converts  all the
     lower-case characters in a file name to upper-case, and chops off
     any extra characters in  filename  or  ext.   When displaying file
     names, PCFS only shows them in lower-case.

     One can use either the MS-DOS FORMAT command, or

	  fdformat -d

     command in the SunOS system to format a diskette  in  MS-DOS
     format.
--
Philip Robar
Sun Microsystems