calvin and hobbes bitmaps

Glenn P. Parker glenn at huxley.huxley.bitstream.com
Sat Dec 1 04:19:25 AEST 1990

In article <1990Nov30.135029.18685 at msuinfo.cl.msu.edu>,
jhl at frith.msu.edu (John Lawitzke) writes:
> Thanks for the Calvin and Hobbes bitmaps. However, it would nice if the
> poster told us who to view or use them.

NOTE: I was not the poster, but I can help out here.

All the Calvin & Hobbes images were in X Bitmap format, which is a
marvelously inefficient format (at least they were compressed :-).  This
format is recognized by the programs xloadimage and xv, and the PBM
library.  File in this format are also C include files, and can be included
in C programs that communicate with X servers (or other appropriate
graphics devices).  All images were bitmaps (B/W), some used 4x4 dithering.

Several of the files contained mail header information that had to be
stripped out.  The hobbes cursor file contained two files, and had to be
split, but it was all pretty obvious (a plain text editor was sufficient
for this work).

Cheers,

-Glenn-

--
Glenn P. Parker       glenn at bitstream.com       Bitstream, Inc.
                      uunet!huxley!glenn        215 First Street