mktime() function (was: Re: UNIX-Time ...)

Boyd Roberts boyd at necisa.ho.necisa.oz
Tue Dec 4 10:37:13 AEST 1990

In article <18767 at rpp386.cactus.org> jfh at rpp386.cactus.org (John F. Haugh II) writes:

|This version includes support for the tm_isdst structure member,
|which is something which Boyd left out of his original version,
|and which is responsible for the ambiguity between which 1:51:45
|his function computed the time for last October 28th.

Daylight saving was always going to be ugly.

|OK, so it's only 12 times faster instead of 15.  Sue me ;-)  Both
|were compiled with optimization turned on (-Ox) on a 16Mhz 386.
|Your milage may vary.  I really didn't mean for this to be an
|attack on Boyd's code - I had initially made my suggestion about
|making a more educated guess to improve upon his code, not to
|replace it.

Doesn't look like an attack to me.  I'm not worried by anything you post.
I never considered making it any faster because I didn't want to re-invent
what localtime(3) knew.  That was the whole point.  I _knew_ it would be
slow, but assumed that it wouldn't be something you'd use a lot.

Boyd Roberts			boyd at necisa.ho.necisa.oz.au

``When the going gets wierd, the weird turn pro...''