Time for 8 bit news, isn't it? - Haven't got the slightest

Shinji Kono kono at csl.sony.co.jp
Mon Jul 23 02:36:41 AEST 1990

As you imagine, Japanese computer scientists use Japanese in a
modified B-NEWS system. We are using 16bit for one char, but
modification is not so large in B-NEWS itself. This is because we are
using escape sequence system. For example,
	<esc> $ @       16bit Japanese Introducing
	<esc> ( B       ASCII Introducing.
For me, "$B$3$s$K$A$O(J" means "hello" in Japanese. But in U.S.
most of you cannot read this EVEN IN PROPER JAPANESE CHARACTER TERMINAL.
This is because your BNEWS system eats <esc>. Quite simple problem.

In article <1092 at mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de>  , p576spz at mpirbn.UUCP (S.Petra Zeidler)writes
> To what amounts would the cost of changing to 8 bit be ?
> Would it be the transition of maintenance barely affordable to not affordable ??

If you use proper Introducing Sequence ( for example again, <esc> ( H
for swedish, <esc> ( J for Japanese Latin ), clearly changes for BNEWS
are very small. And you can write Franch, Japanese and German in one
line.  But News Reader programs such as rn needs a lot of changes but
it is possible. As official communication codes in B-News, 7bits char
and ISO Introducing Sequences system is best choice I think.

BTW, What do you mean in 8bit char? If it means IBM-PC's system, I
don't like it. I think it is not difficult to write 7bit French to
8bit IBM-PC. But many Unix programs (Ex. sendmail, grep, tip, roff or
PostScript) simply cut off 8th bit. Personally I think these programs
should accept 8bit char and it is  good for us. But usually 7bit with
Introducing sequence is easy to use in Unix.
--------
Shinji Kono
$B2OLn??<#(J Sony Computer Science Laboratory, Inc.: kono at csl.sony.co.jp