8 bit & the American attitude

S.Petra Zeidler p576spz at mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de
Fri Jul 27 23:29:42 AEST 1990

Hi,

from reading this group, I saw that there was some misunderstanding.
I thought the 'news is written by English-spoken people ..'
was refering to the articles.
I by no means wanted to critisize the software; I critisized Bill Davidsons
attitude that the non-English rest of the world wasn't worth even to
come to an agreement about formats .
As to my accusation of US Americans of having a chauvinistic attitude to the
rest of the world, it certainly doesn't fit everybody there, but it's not
plucked from thin air either (Gods own country, the greatest nation on earth,
oh yeah ).

The good thing about the news is that it's a world-wide affair in which you
can participate. It would be a shame to split that into many islets.

The existsing news software is a great thing (a hooray for the authors),
but if there is to be a change like that to 8 or whatever bit (24bit ISO ?!!)
there must be some consensus on the modalities, or else the net will split up.

As to national character sets, I can do without them, but netting would be
_nicer_ with them.(And that's what a lot of programming is about, isn't it ?)
And it would remedy the odd Scandinavian .signatures 8-)

greetings,
	spz
--
spz at specklec.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de   or   spz at mpirbn.uucp   or
universe!local-cluster!milky-way!orionis-arm!sol!earth!uunet!unido!mpirbn!spz