Time for 8 bit news, isn't it? - Haven't got the slightest

S.Petra Zeidler p576spz at mpirbn.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de
Sun Jul 22 23:57:17 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul21.174535.8281 at lokkur.dexter.mi.us> scs at lokkur.dexter.mi.us (Steve Simmons) writes:
>Hey, news is ASCII-based, written in english-speaking countries for
>english-speaking readers.

Hey back,
I don't think so at all; if I read the authors' names and origins, it seems to
me that no mean part of postings to the world-wide newsgroups is NOT written
in English-spoken countries.
It is the US American "We Are The World, all the others are just the miserable
exotic rest" attitude all over again.
Believe me, there is a world, and yes, even netting outside of the US
(ever heard of eunet for example ?).
As to the language problem: It would be really nice to be able to write ones
name, adress, etc without tricks, but it's no issue that really bites.
Even eunet, which is a LOT more conscient of the existance of other languages,
has chosen English for common language, simply because it is the most widely
understood; on dnet (German news net) you'll get flamed for not posting in
German unless it's a crosspost.
Writing German with the English (American) character set is a pain.
Writing French or some Scandinavian language must be a major pain.

To what amounts would the cost of changing to 8 bit be ?
Would it be the transition of maintenance barely affordable to not affordable ??

It is nice to have the net around, lacking letters or no.
Greetings,
	spz
---
spz at specklec.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de   or   spz at mpirbn.uucp   or
universe!local-cluster!milky-way!orionis-arm!sol!earth!uunet!unido!mpirbn!spz
= S.Petra Zeidler  |     ... in the midst of your laughter and glee,
Auf dem Huegel 69  |      you will softly and suddenly vanish away,
5300 Bonn 1, FRG   |           and never be met with again.