Unnecessary tar-compress-uuencodes

Mark Lord mlord at bwdls58.bnr.ca
Thu Jul 12 00:14:12 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jul10.160257.24183 at cs.dal.ca> bill%biomel at cs.dal.ca writes:
>Not all common tools are "available", in the sense that they can be
>recovered from archive sites and recompiled, on all machines.  For
>example, I cannot get 16-bit uncompression on my MS-DOS machine, and the
>uncompress I ported to my obsolete Unix box is pretty flaky.

How strange.. I have no fewer than three (3) independant 16-bit uncompress
programs on my MSDOS machine, all of which were easy to obtain from SIMTEL20.

Two of them even handle the older 12-bit style as well.  Also, I have two
versions of programs to handle tar files, and a multitude of UU/XX decoders,
again, all from SIMTEL20.

If you can send/receive email, you can get them from a LISTSERV near you.