Unnecessary tar-compress-uuencodes

Greg A. Woods woods at robohack.UUCP
Fri Jul 13 10:17:38 AEST 1990

In article <5256 at plains.UUCP> overby at plains.UUCP (Glen Overby) writes:
> The rationalization for compressing is to compensate for the expansion
> caused by uuencoding, whose rationalization is, in an acronym, BITNET.
> Fix the Bitnet problem, and you rid the world of most of the reasons for
> uuencoding.

I would suggest that the BITNauts (as you so aptly called them!),
since they are the most common complainers, and the ones who are
affected first, should be the best ones to lobby the powers that be
in the BITNET towers of power.

It shouldn't really be that hard.  I'd bet the biggest problem is the
lack of co-ordination between versions of software on each end of the
link.  A little co-operative administration, and we wouldn't be
discussing all this nonsense!
--
						Greg A. Woods

woods@{robohack,gate,eci386,tmsoft,ontmoh}.UUCP
+1 416 443-1734 [h]   +1 416 595-5425 [w]   VE3-TCP   Toronto, Ontario; CANADA