Beyond shar

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Tue May 8 00:55:25 AEST 1990

In article <682 at n4hgf.uucp> wht at n4hgf.UUCP (Warren Tucker) writes:
>Like sh?  I still have that tool.  Shar 3.21, cshar, shar2 and _ALL_ the
>other shars work well with the bourne shell.  Stuff useful to systems
>other than UNIX should not be packed with shar3.

Such software chauvanism is inappropriate in today's environment.  Much
of the software on the net is "useful" to systems other than UNIX.

I would suggest, then, that everyone do as I did and dump Warren's
shar sources in the trash can.  Software which doesn't have to be
O/S specific, but which is anyway, is very poorly designed.  I have
no place in my heart for intentionally ill-designed software.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org