Beyond shar (Re: shars and security concerns.)

Steve McClure stevem at sauron.Columbia.NCR.COM
Wed May 30 04:01:30 AEST 1990

In article <1990May29.043552.15964 at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> xanthian at zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:
[ stuff deleted ]

>Beyond that, shar is widely used to port sources away from Unix (granted
>zoo is more appropriate, shar's _are_ human readable), and "tar" is not
>often available on the target systems.
>
>I have, for example, many files ported to my Amiga in shar format, and
>an "unshar" program that imitates the actions of "sh" well enough to unpack
>most common shar output.

I use tar to transport files between my Amiga and Unix boxes.  Works great
with my tape drive.  There is a pdtar on FF316 or so.  It is supposed to be
generic enough to port to individual systems although I have seen an MS-DOS
binary yet.