bpe - binary patch editor

Amos Shapir amos at taux01.nsc.com
Sat Nov 3 23:13:02 AEST 1990

[Quoted from the referenced article by clh at seer.UUCP (Chris Hatch)]

>Actually, by definition 'if (islower(a)) a=toupper(a);' should be the exact
>same thing as 'a=toupper(a);'. If that is not the case, then your compiler
>(or rather your library) is broken. This is in ANSI... Don't know about
>the Unix "standards."

But this is how toupper/tolower were originally defined, and how they are
still defined on major versions of UNIX; I'd expect someone who posts
a supposedly portable program to take care of that.  It would have been ok
if he stated "this only works on Sys V", but previous versions of bpe were
more portable, and its Makefile contains a lot of -D's for configuration.
(Also note that unlike this new addition, the older file bpe.c does have
an appropriate islower test before toupper).

	Amos Shapir		amos at taux01.nsc.com, amos at nsc.nsc.com
National Semiconductor (Israel) P.O.B. 3007, Herzlia 46104, Israel
Tel. +972 52 522255  TWX: 33691, fax: +972-52-558322 GEO: 34 48 E / 32 10 N