Rich $alz is still alive ??!!!??!!

Tom Neff tneff at bfmny0.BFM.COM
Fri Nov 30 16:47:16 AEST 1990

In article <DNB.90Nov29153511 at meshugge.media.mit.edu> dnb at meshugge.media.mit.edu (David N. Blank) writes:
>> It will go to alt.sources, since that is currently the only reliable
>> channel for general-purpose sources.
>
>You bet, any code that is submitted gets posted. No one checks for
>code with security holes, code that doesn't compile, non-standard
>idioms (makefiles & etc), missing files, non-standard shar formats,
>portability, & etc.

True, that's a risk; but one that a motivated user can tackle himself by
editing, compiling, and testing.  The power is in all our hands.  This
is not true with a recalcitrant moderator, who holds the source
somewhere we can't get at it.  It's a tradeoff.  YOU may be scared when
a new editor or game comes down the unmoderated pipe, but I'M not.
And that's fine; freedom of choice is what the net's all about.  An
approved, 'safe,' 'debugged' moderated channel is a wonderful idea, but
when throughput dries up without adequate explanation or response from
the moderator, it's little wonder confidence erodes and people start
gravitating to less 'secure' but more available channels.