Updated to PD KSH sources.

Simon J. Gerraty sjg at zen.void.oz.au
Thu Apr 25 18:18:32 AEST 1991

Since mentioning that I have made several improvements to the
3.2 alpha PD KSH posted to alt.sources last year, I have had
dozens of requests for the changes.
I have just finished fixing a bug in edit.c and adding a couple
of new features and as promissed. I'm posting my updates to
alt.sources.patches in two archives.

For users in Australia, both melb.bull.oz and zen.void.oz will
have these archives as well as the original and my updated
sources available for ACSnet "fetchfile" in the directory
pub/pdksh.

If someone would like to volunteer an ftp site, I'd be happy to
try and put the same files there.  I was originally going to
make them available from ftp.melb.bull.oz.au, but the X.25 link
wouldn't stand heavy usage.

Below is a copy of the README file.

PD KSH 3.2 alpha  Update README

This is the README file for my patches to the PD KSH (posted to
alt.sources in Dec 90).  The update consists of two shell
archives.

Archive 1 contents:
README			# this file
src/edit.c		# new edit.c

Archive 2 contents:
src/ChangeLog		# change log :-)
stdc/ChangeLog		# ditto
sun386i.diffs		# sun 386i related diffs
bugs.diffs		# bug fixes and new features

The new edit.c adds several features to the PD KSH.
The ability to edit lines longer than the screen width.
This is done in a manner comaptible with the real ksh.

New features:
M-[0-9]		Esc followed by a digit 0-9 sets an argument
		that applies to the following command.
M-.
M-_		Retrieves the last (or n'th if preceded by arg)
		word from previous command line.
M-u		Upcase-word
M-l		Downcase-word
M-c		Capitalize-word

All word related functions now pay attention to the arg set by
M-[0-9].
The editor's behaviour now agrees with the description in the
real man page.  That is; the editor treats only a sequence of
digits and alpha chars as a word.  Thus '/','.' etc are all word
separators as one might expect.  Under certain circumstances
such as file name completion and retrieving words from previous
commands the original word separators ' ' and '\t' are used.

I use this shell all day on my workstation at work where I also
use the real ksh on another system.  With the new edit.c it is
very difficult to pick the difference between the real and PD
korn-shell.

The important features still missing are support for:

$HISTFILE
$HISTSIZE
$MAILPATH
$CDPATH
[[]]

Plus there are still bugs in some of the variable expansion code
${var%%*.c} doesn't work for instance.
Hopefully one day some one will address these.
If you do, please send a copy to:

Simon J. Gerraty	<sjg at zen.void.oz.au>
		     or <sjg at melb.bull.oz.au>

--
Simon J. Gerraty        <sjg at zen.void.oz.au>

#include <disclaimer>   /* imagine something _very_ witty here */