An AWK script to check "junk" for newsgroups

Tom Christiansen tchrist at convex.COM
Fri Feb 22 12:14:15 AEST 1991

>From the keyboard of Sepp at ppcger.ppc.sub.org (Josef Wolf):
:dglo at ADS.COM (Dave Glowacki) writes:
:
:] Since, as a rule, EVERY C or shell program posted must be followed up
:] by a PERL script, here's my version of NEWJUNK.
:
:Well. Fine fine. But what about using standard-tools? Which *IX is
:_delivered_ with Perl?

The one shipped by CONVEX Computer Corporation, of course.  Call it
competetive advantage.  :-)

If your vendor doesn't supply perl (and fie on them for not doing so),
then it's trivial to get.  Of course, gawk is equally easy to get.

What systems are _delivered_ with nawk?  I don't see why you think a gawk
program has something over a perl one; it's certainly slower.   If your
point is delivered systems, then nawk/gawk scripts aren't the answer.

--tom
--
"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because
 that would also stop you from doing clever things." -- Doug Gwyn

 Tom Christiansen                tchrist at convex.com      convex!tchrist