NON-SOURCE POSTINGS CONSIDERED HARMFUL!

Tom Christiansen tchrist at convex.COM
Fri Jan 25 20:06:27 AEST 1991

>From the keyboard of brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein):
:Here's a little script that points out executables in your path whose
:names occur more than once, you know, like /bin/mail and /usr/ucb/mail.
:(N.B. This isn't meant as a clone of Tom's script; it doesn't bother
:printing where the conflicts are, for example.) Just so Tom doesn't
:accuse me of cheating, I spread everything out onto separate lines, so
:this is an 11-line script, including 7 lines of real code.

:Now what is easier to maintain: a simple 7-line shell script, or a
:28-line perl script?

You're comparing apples with windmills.  Your script doesn't at
all do the same thing.  Feel free to try again.

--tom
--
"Hey, did you hear Stallman has replaced /vmunix with /vmunix.el?  Now
 he can finally have the whole O/S built-in to his editor like he