Multiple executables in path (Was: NON-SOURCE POSTINGS CONSIDERED HARMFUL!)

Chet Ramey chet at odin.INS.CWRU.Edu
Thu Jan 24 01:41:56 AEST 1991

Paul Falstad replied to a posting of mine:
>The ~ is expanded only for the first component in the PATH, not for the
>remaining components.  Bash handles this fine, of course, but execlp
>does not.

You're right, of course.  I had changed bash a while back to be more like
ksh-86, which expanded tildes after colons when doing tilde expansion, but
have since backed that change out after deciding it wasn't Posix compliant.
(The ksh book says ksh88 doesn't expand tildes after colons, but I have no
way to check that.)

It might be better to expand tildes after colons, but bash is doing exactly
what the documentation says it does.

Chet
--
Chet Ramey				``There's just no surf in
Network Services Group			  Cleveland, U.S.A. ...''