Multiple executables in path (Was: NON-SOURCE POSTINGS CONSIDERED HARMFUL!)

Chet Ramey chet at odin.INS.CWRU.Edu
Wed Jan 23 09:02:46 AEST 1991

In article <5570 at idunno.Princeton.EDU> pfalstad at phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Paul Falstad) writes:
>tchrist at convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) wrote:
>>From the keyboard of kaul at icarus.eng.ohio-state.edu (Rich Kaul):
>>:with bash, where you can have a PATH with unexpanded ~ references in
>>That's odd -- if you have unexpanded tildes in your environment,
>>I wonder how you get system, popen, and execlp to work without
>>changing the C library.
>
>You don't, it seems.  At least it didn't work for me.  This is probably
>a bug in bash.  You should use $HOME instead of ~ when you define
>your PATH.

It's not a bug in bash.  It's bash doing something useful with what
would otherwise be useless.

You have to go through special pains to get an unexpanded tilde in
your PATH, since tilde expansion is performed on the rhs of assignment
statements.  The only way you can get a tilde into your path is to
surround it with quotes.  It might be a bug that double quotes can
inhibit the expansion.

Chet
--
Chet Ramey				``There's just no surf in
Network Services Group			  Cleveland, U.S.A. ...''