WWS vs. The Naval Observatory Clock

Nigel Gamble nigel at modcomp.uucp
Sat Jan 5 02:54:09 AEST 1991

In <53611 at mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com> heiby at mcdchg.chg.mcd.mot.com (Ron Heiby) writes:
>I didn't watch any of the "live" New Year's shows on TV.  Somehow, I
>can't picture the countdown:

>10 - 9 - 8 - 7 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 - extra - Happy New Year!

This is just as well, since the leap second had *already* happened
when the U.S. New Year's shows were being broadcast.  The leap second
occured at 00:00 UTC, which was 19:00 EST.

Now, if you were watching the celebrations in Trafalgar Square, London, UK,
you would have noticed a longer pause than usual between the Westminster
chimes and the first stroke of midnight of Big Ben.
--
Nigel Gamble					uunet!modcomp!nigel
MODCOMP, an AEG company				modcomp!nigel at uunet.UU.NET