NON-SOURCE POSTINGS CONSIDERED HARMFUL!

Tom Christiansen tchrist at convex.COM
Sat Jan 26 20:18:46 AEST 1991

>From the keyboard of brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein):
:In article <1991Jan25.090627.14302 at convex.com> tchrist at convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:
:> :Now what is easier to maintain: a simple 7-line shell script, or a
:> :28-line perl script?
:> You're comparing apples with windmills.  Your script doesn't at
:> all do the same thing.
:
:Yes, it does, except for the difference I noted (and a few arbitrary
:limitations that will never come up in practice).
:
:For example, on this machine, /bin/cat and /usr/bin/cat are the same
:file. Your perl script takes several lines of tests to make sure that it
:doesn't report cat. My script takes one line to do the same thing.
:
:On this machine, /bin/mail and /usr/ucb/mail are quite different. So
:your script reports them. Mine does too. The difference is that mine
:just says ``mail'' while yours also points out where the conflicting
:versions are. Naturally, I think that it's the job of ``which'' to do
:the latter, but it's just a 2-line change to the shell script if you
:care.

You assume you can tell me what I wrote my script to do, and then you go
on to redefine this.  For this they invented the word arrogant, and then
tacked ignorant on to the end of it.  I wrote it to give the output it
gives.  The problem was to list the full path names of all names in
collision.  Nothing less than this solves the problem.

--tom
--
"Hey, did you hear Stallman has replaced /vmunix with /vmunix.el?  Now
 he can finally have the whole O/S built-in to his editor like he