Multiple executables in path

Paul Falstad pfalstad at burst.Princeton.EDU
Fri Jan 25 12:09:42 AEST 1991

brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) wrote:
>In article <5657 at idunno.Princeton.EDU> pfalstad at phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Paul Falstad) writes:
>> brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu (Dan Bernstein) wrote:
>There was no bug to fix. It is a change in optional behavior. I happen
>to think that it's stupid for the output of which to be relative to your
>current directory; by that criterion, any version of which that pays
>attention to . is wrong. But different people want different behaviors.

No, you think it's stupid for someone to have . in their path, and I
agree.  But if a person does have . in their path, your version should
work properly.  I think it's stupid for people to play nethack, but it
wouldn't be good to write a shell that dumps core whenever someone types
"nethack."

Unless you're saying that "I will use this version of which because it's
faster and because it works with my path because it doesn't have . in
it."  Then I agree.

>[ explains how it works ]

Yes, I did figure it out, but it took a while.  The perl solution was
obvious, at least to me.

>(Btw, are you so sure that your change is correct?)

No, I didn't bother to test it.  I don't know perl.

>That isn't a bug; it's a documented feature. You can easily avoid it if
>you want.

How?  (genuine question)  Is there a way to make csh not glob the results
of command substitution but have usual globbing work fine?  Also, this
feature is not documented, at least not in my manual.  If I'm wrong
please show me where it's documented.  Any feature that cannot be turned
off is a bug.

>> You mean, change your implementation so it uses
>> aliases from .cshrc?
>
>No, that's not what I said.

What did you say?

>You and Tom are coming across as so lazy that you'd rather waste
>thousands of dollars of money around the world arguing with facts than
>spending the two minutes it would take you to figure things out on your
>own. Any competent shell programmer can use filters, and I'm not going
>to teach you tricks that you can easily figure out for yourself.

I spent the two minutes figuring it out, and now I'm wasting thousands
of dollars of money around the world hoping to prevent others from
having to do the same.

>Yeah, and slow as per---I mean molasses.

I did say SunOS.

>``I can't see how any perl hack that can't easily be translated into a
>decent language like C can be called good code.'' Who tf cares?

I certainly don't.   I'm no perl groupie, as I said.  In fact, my
longest perl script is one line.  I just like flame wars.  :-)  I really
don't give a fuck about this whole discussion, nor does 99% of the net,
but it's fun to hear people having flame wars over such trivialities.  I'm
saving this thread for posterity.  Flame on!

--
Paul Falstad, pfalstad at phoenix.princeton.edu PLink:HYPNOS GEnie:P.FALSTAD
"And she's always on about men following her.  I don't know what she