comp.sources.reviewed -> comp.sources.posix (+ c.s.u controversy)

Laird J. Heal laird at chinet.chi.il.us
Mon Mar 4 01:21:23 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar2.194702.18667 at tridom.uucp> wht at n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US writes:
>Let me use my ECU as a straw dog for comparing the various groups.

>Had c.s.reviewed been around, a ready mechanism would have been
>in place that perhaps would have eliminated *all* those patches.
>While the net would have had to wait for ECU 3 a while longer
>(breathlessly, no doubt :-)), many would also have been spared
>seeing a rash of patches, including one that Broke the published version
>and had to have a patch to a patch.

Addressing only POSIX-compliant software is very good, but why not restate
the newsgroup as specifically for software going through a beta or gamma
test phase?  That is, put it out so people can bang on it, apply patches,
and then post the final result to groups which get archived.

For things like "compress" implemented in COBOL, there are always either
alt.sources or comp.sources.misc.
--
Laird J. Heal                           The Usenet is dead!
Here:  laird at chinet.chi.il.us		Long live the Usenet!