The Jargon File -- an apologia

John F Haugh II jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
Thu Mar 21 23:11:56 AEST 1991

In article <1Zr0DW#37lgky6bXgdD31jqNy1Gg95B=eric at snark.thyrsus.com> eric at snark.thyrsus.com (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>Recently I've seen a number of postings attacking the Jargon File
>project as overly commercial or an `ego trip', and email posing polite
>questions about the copyright status of the material and future access
>to it.

You cleverly ignored the complaint which I found the most support
for - VOLUME.  I don't care if you make all the money in the world
(leave some for me, please), but you are reposting a very large
document to groups that don't want it.  There are better ways, such
as context diffs or pointers to an anonymous FTP or UUCP site.
--
John F. Haugh II        | Distribution to  | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832 | GEnie PROHIBITED :-) |  Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"I've never written a device driver, but I have written a device driver manual"
                -- Robert Hartman, IDE Corp.