Xkal 1.10 available for ftp

George Ferguson ferguson at cs.rochester.edu
Fri Mar 1 04:19:11 AEST 1991

The new version of xkal - an X appointment calendar is available for
anonymous ftp from cs.rochester.edu (192.5.53.209). I include the README
file below. The complete distribution will be posted to alt.sources and/or
comp.sources.x after the initial rash of bug reports come in. If you do
not have ftp access, I'm sorry, but you'll have to wait. If you do have
ftp access PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do not ftp between 9am and 5pm EST weekdays.
Please do not e-mail me asking for copies to be e-mailed.

I would appreciate bug reports a whole lot more than requests for features.
I'd also appreciate hearing from people who don't have any problems, if there
are any such.

If you tried xkal in its previous incarnation, I think you'll find the new
version significantly more powerful/flexible, yet it presents essentially
the same interface. Several other programs are included in the distribution,
with man pages. You also need "ad2c" and "ezMenu", available in .tar.Z
format from the same site. You may also want "xremind".

Sample ftp session:

	% Is it non-prime time EST?
	% ftp cs.rochester.edu
	login: anonymous
	password: <your user id>
	ftp> cd pub
	ftp> binary
	ftp> prompt
	ftp> mget xkal.1.10.tar.Z ad2c.tar.Z ezMenu.tar.Z xremind.tar.Z
	ftp> bye

README:
		 README for XKAL - X Appointment Calendar

		George Ferguson, ferguson at cs.rochester.edu

DISCLAIMER:

     This is no longer a BETA release, but there have been drastic
     changes since the original (1.0beta). No doubt the increased complexity
     of the program has introduced many new bugs. While it has been in
     use for some time at our site, there are certainly many bugs left to
     find.

     This software is provided as is with no warranty expressed or implied.
     I hope you find it useful, but I won't be held responsible for
     any damage that may occur from reading, compiling, installing or
     using it.

     You are free to use any part of this code for other purposes. It
     would be nice if you could keep my name on some part of whatever the
     final product is.

INSTALLATION:

     [ Deleted ]

HISTORY:

     Released to alt.sources (version 1.0 beta), 13 Nov 1990.

     Patched 16 Nov 1990:
	Bad values in XtSetValues(), lines 169, 172, 175 "day.c"
		- douglis at cs.vu.nl (Fred Douglis)
		- sengillo at isdc00.kodak.com (Alan Sengillo)

     Version 1.10 made available for ftp, 27 Feb 1991. The following are
	some of the changes in this version, listed with the person who
	suggested them (these people did not write code; I get the blame for
	that). Apologies if I didn't credit someone.
	From: netmgr at venus.csc.fi (Pekka Kyt|laakso)
		Customize dow and month labels and allow Monday at start of
		week for European users.
	From: Colin Walls <ctw at sun.central-services.umist.ac.uk>
		Allow calendar format and preprocessor. Actually it will
		handle almost any date spec., and provides #include.
	From: several people
		Ultrix defs for dysize() and don't use += if possible.
	From: rackow at antares.mcs.anl.gov (Gene Rackow)
		Different reminder types, like monthly and yearly. In fact,
		the appointment format is considerably more flexible, with
		respect to both syntax and semantics.
	From: weissman%pianoforte.esd.sgi.com at SGI.COM
		Fixed major grossness in selectDay()
	From: mucit at cs.rochester.edu (Bulent Murtezaoglu)
		Two month format and better labelling algorithm for moved
		appoints.
	And from me:
		- System and personal files, with #include functionality
		- Added appointment editor to replace schedule editor
		- Added defaults editor
		- Fully customizable day layout, including start and end times,
		  increment, number and label of notes
		- Switch to "criticality levels" for appointment highlighting
		- Popup error messages where appropriate (if wanted)
		- "xkal-system()" action for arbitrary commands
		- Automail scripts
		- Programs to write in xremind and pcal formats

George Ferguson			ARPA: ferguson at cs.rochester.edu
University of Rochester		UUCP: {decvax,rutgers}!rochester!ferguson
Rochester  NY  14627-0226	VOX:  (716) 275-2527