Moderation of alt.sources through Mass Annoyance

Ed Vielmetti emv at ox.com
Tue Mar 12 08:06:47 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar11.162930.8008 at convex.com> tchrist at convex.COM (Tom Christiansen) writes:

   At the request of someone in email, I'm posting my rn magic for
   sending someone an automatic message gently chiding them for
   their misplaced posting into alt.sources.

 I think that this is a mistake.

 Much better would be to put more sources in alt.sources, so that
 people learn by example what to expect there, and don't mistakenly ask
 questions.  For instance, if you see sources in some other group,
 repost them into alt.sources.  Or post something of your own!

 Auto-hassling scripts strike me as an unnecessary annoyance likely to
 cause animosity.  better would be to either ignore the posting
 completely , or answer the request by mail as best you can and gently
 chide the user into changing their ways.

--Ed