Oberon-M MSDOS (1/5) + How to get

Erick Herring herring at evax.arl.utexas.edu
Sun Mar 24 02:00:15 AEST 1991

In article <WVENABLE.91Mar23094443 at spam.ua.oz.au> wvenable at spam.ua.oz.au (Bill Venables) writes:
>In article <1991Mar22.185222.27204 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
>mcdonald at aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:
>

>>   Ummmm ..... This has been discussed over and over and over ad nauseum.....
>>   FLAME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!
>>   >Oberon-M MSDOS (1/5)
>>   WHAT IS IT????? There is no statement of what it is!!!!
>
>... and it was a platform-specific binary posted to a sources group ... and
>your flame, Doug, was a discussion posted to a sources group.  I suppose
>someone else will find something to gripe about in this posting, too...
>
>Sigh.

No, Bill, you are absolutely right.  Nothing to gripe about in your
posting.  But these other guys that are flaming Mr. Videki are way
out of line.  He posted the thing here because he was asked to.  If
the individual you cited _read_ alt.sources.d or alt.sources, then he
would have seen (and probably flamed) the discussion of this compiler.

Mr. Videki, who I don't know from the Easter Bunny, has gone to a
great deal of trouble to make his implementation of the Oberon-M
compiler available.  It is a compiler for the Oberon language as
defined by Professor Wirth.  The target platform of Mr. Videki's
compiler is the IBM PCompatible running MS-DOS.

I am normally on the side of "label your postings or be shot out of
hand", but this particular posting was talked about for days before it
was posted.  And he posted a readme as part 0 of 5.

In the readme, Mr. Videki said that he will be posting a
non-self-extracting version as well.  So prepare your 'F' keys - you
know, the one that means Flame...

If anybody wants the compiler now that they know what it is (the
successor to Modula-2 BTW) the info is below.

How to get the Oberon-M compiler for MS-DOS: