PLEASE post only sources to alt.sources

Jef Poskanzer jef at well.sf.ca.us
Tue Mar 19 10:01:32 AEST 1991

In the referenced message, ronald at robobar.co.uk (Ronald S H Khoo) wrote:
}In order to prevent the rash of complaints similar to those we've
}had in alt.hackers, you'd need an *additional* fallback address
}which is documented in the blurb.  Just because current Unix systems let you
}forge approval doesn't mean that all news systems will necessarily continue
}to do so, and some public access systems (like one I used to run :-( )
}don't give the user adequate access.

Well, there are lots and lots of ways to get an article into a moderated
newsgroup, but what's appropriate for alt.hackers isn't appropriate for
alt.sources.  T. William Wells sent me email along these lines too.  He
suggested that the moderator's address point to a program that says something
like this:

    Thank you for posting to alt.sources.  This newsgroup is for posting
    source code only but there is no one checking to see that what is
    posted is really source.  Since not everyone knows that only source
    code should be posted here, I, the alt.sources moderator-daemon, have
    been programmed to occasionally remind the posters to this newsgroup
    that they should only post source.  I've recorded who you are and won't
    be bothering you again for at least one month.  If you'd like to shut
    me up completely, send me a message at alt-sources-daemon at wherever.com
    saying "ignore user at dom.ain" and I will never send a message to that
    address again.  Again, thank you for posting, and happy coding!

The wording could use a little tweaking, for instance to make it clearer
that the article *has* been posted, but I think the basic idea is great.
Bill also pointed out that the auto-posting daemon could make sure the
followup-to line is pointing to alt.sources.d, or at least away from
alt.sources.

I would add verbiage inviting people to self-moderate if they want to
avoid the (minimal) delay and (unknown) fragility of the daemon.  This
plus a weekly informational posting would, I think, solve the alt.sources
problem once and for all.
---
Jef

  Jef Poskanzer  jef at well.sf.ca.us  {apple, ucbvax, hplabs}!well!jef
  "When the well's dry, we know the worth of water." -- Ben Franklin