Charging the net...

Dan Bernstein brnstnd at kramden.acf.nyu.edu
Tue May 7 16:09:55 AEST 1991

In article <1991May7.000512.1961 at eci386.uucp> woods at eci386.UUCP (Greg A. Woods) writes:
> Shareware, by definition, depends upon a licence.

Not necessarily.

``This is Fubar version 6.66, Copyright 1991, Me. I own a copyright on
Fubar. This means you basically can't make copies of it without getting
my permission first. Well, I give you permission to make one copy and
give it to someone else, PROVIDED that you first send a $15.00 check or
money order, made payable to Fubar Inc., by registered U.S. or
international mail to Natas, 666 Penn. Ave. NW, Washington, DC 20666.
Unless you indicate otherwise, I'll send you manuals and update notices
after I get your check. Thanks. Once you own a legal copy, by the way,
you can use it for as long as you want. You have to send me one $15.00
check for each copy you give away, though. (If you're smart, you'll get
the money from each recipient.)''

That's not a license. It's just a copyright limitation, and it's legally
sound. I'd still say that Fubar 6.66 is shareware.

---Dan