zsh 2.00.02 available

Paul Falstad pfalstad at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Sat May 11 16:26:16 AEST 1991

zsh2.00.02 is now available for anomymous FTP from princeton.edu
(128.112.128.1) as "/pub/zsh/zsh2.00.02.tar.Z".  I am submitting patches
to comp.sources.misc as well.  I will probably put out yet another patch
before June 1 (hopefully).  I may not be too prompt in answering my
mail; I've been getting megabytes of mail about zsh, and the next few
weeks will be VERY hectic.

This is part of the README file for patchlevel 02:

zsh is free software.  See the file COPYING for copying permission.

This is zsh 2.00.02.

To get this shell running, cd into the src directory and type
"buildzsh".  I tested it on the following machines, where it compiled
just by running this script:

Sun SPARCServer 4/490 running SunOS 4.1.1

Past versions have been tested successfully on the following machines:

Sun 3/60C running SunOS 4.1.1
NeXTstation running Mach 2.0
SGI-4D/25 running IRIX 3.3.1
hp9000 running BSD 4.3
DECSystem-5000 running ULTRIX 4.0

01-02:
   - added script to convert most csh aliases to zsh aliases or functions
   - fc -l (history) now appears in the history itself; HISTNOSTORE
     option added to get old behavior
   - the POSIX process group race has been fixed; so 'w | more' should
     no longer hang
   - FCEDIT added, to match the documentation
   - %{...%} in the prompt added
   - execute-named-cmd and execute-last-named-cmd bindings added
   - sources ~/.zshenv in all shells, even if not interactive, unless
     -f is given
   - ^ and # are no longer `magic' by default; use EXTENDEDGLOB option
     to use them
   - now checks for tty sanity before each command
   - if the right side of a variable assignment expands to more than
     one word, array assignment is assumed; so foo=*.c now works
   - ~foo is no longer expanded in completion
   - select now works even if the argument list is not sorted
   - menucompletebeep option added
   - emacs mode is now 8-bit clean by default; use bindkey -em
     to get your meta key back
   - fc -R, fc -W added
   - nocorrect added
   - lines from history file are now split into words at spaces
   - glob-complete, accept-and-menu-complete,
     beginning-of-line-hist, end-of-line-hist bindings added
   - insert-last-word bound to M-. in emacs mode by default; now moves
     back through the history if run repeatedly
   - J and K now bound to history search in vi mode
   - delete-char no longer core dumps on an empty line
   - menu-complete works better
   - the editor checks the settings of VISUAL and EDITOR to set
     default bindings
   - using [[ ... ]] expressions on a symbolic link works as expected
   - various problems with globbing were fixed
   - xx is now the same as !! if HISTCHARS=x
   - added config.h entry for compilers that don't know about void *
   - lexical analysis made more efficient
   - "if echo $? ; then : ; fi" no longer always prints 0
   - removed all enums, '\x7f's from code
   - in "case foo in bar) xxx ;; esac", foo and bar are no longer subject
     to command alias expansion
   - works on platforms where toupper('A') != 'A'
   - \e sequence added to echo
   - + options now work with set
   - AUTORESUME and AUTOCD work better
   - getopts works better (?)
   - spell checking works better
   - "let 2+3=" no longer crashes the shell
   - "foo=bar; echo ${=foo}" no longer crashes the shell
   - "zsh -c" or "zsh -o" no longer causes a core dump
   - "unset MAIL; echo $MAIL" no longer causes a core dump
   - "(xterm&xterm&)&" no longer causes a core dump
   - "echo $HOM[tab]" beeps instead of deleting "$HOM"
   - incremental history search works better
   - the pwd of a fg'd job is now printed _before_ resuming it
   - rv=`echo -n foo` no longer puts garbage in $rv
   - "=1/*" now works as expected
   - ^Z can now be bound to something
   - the STTY parameter and the builtin builtin are now documented
   - IFS=x; foo=`echo foo` no longer puts a newline in $foo
   - $status added for csh compatibility
   - arrays are automatically expanded if you say 'foo[1234]=x'
   - shell now ignores SIGQUIT (it was commented out before :-)
   - the times builtin works on systems where times() returns > 0
   - no longer hangs the terminal if you ^S before flow control
     is turned off
   - "date ; read foo" now works in interactive shells
   - <<-foo is now parsed as <<- foo, not << -foo
   - fixed various errors in the documentation

Stuff that needs to be done
   - port zsh to more places
   - improve vi emulation

Known Bugs
   - terminal acts weird under OpenWindows cmdtool
   - xterm run in background inherits bad terminal modes
   - here documents don't appear in the history, and cannot be
     used inside eval statements
              Paul Falstad  pfalstad at phoenix.princeton.edu
         And on the roads, too, vicious gangs of KEEP LEFT signs!
     If Princeton knew my opinions, they'd have expelled me long ago.