Charging the net....

Joshua_Putnam josh at happym.WA.COM
Thu May 2 05:24:29 AEST 1991

In <a_rubin.673041764 at dn71> a_rubin at dsg4.dse.beckman.com writes:

>In <PBX8114w164w at mantis.co.uk> mathew at mantis.co.uk (mathew) writes:
                                                 ^^

>>Are you sure you're up-to-date with your copyright law?  Your references to
>>"the Copyright Act" leave me in doubt.

>I'm not sure what Greg means by "the Copyright Act", but you don't seem very
>familiar with copyright law either.

Looking at the posters' IDs suggests the possibility that both and/or niether
are correct, i.e., copyright laws are different in the US and UK.  Just
because both countries abide by the same treaties does not mean the
legislation enforcing those treaties must be identical or fully compatible.

(Specifically, used book stores are big business in the US, and I have never
seen the "No circulation except in original cover" restriction on US-published
books.  Is the unenforceability of this clause in the US the reason Penguin
books from the UK used to have a note prohibiting distribution to the US?)

Just a thought.
--
 Josh_Putnam at happym.wa.com      Happy Man Corp.  206/463-9399 x102
 4410 SW Pt. Robinson Rd., Vashon Island, WA  98070-7399  fax x108